Single Purpose Apps
I was reading a blog post by Lee Simpson a few days ago on the subject of simpler UI design and it got me thinking. Recently I’ve been really impressed with some of the new apps ( mobile & web ) that are coming into usage and there seems to be a trend. The trend seems to focus around doing a very particular task. Here’s four examples that spring to mind ( If you can think of anymore, I’d love to know about them in comments )
- Min.us - Sharing application with a rather nice twist. No upload dialogue, just drag and drop files into the browser.
- Teux Deux - Todo application that is minimal. List thing todo on day or someday.
- Letterly - Publish a newsletter and charge people to subscribe to it.
- Readability - Save things to read for later in a way that makes sense to you
- Droplr - Share files from a mac by dropping onto an icon
- About.Me - An about me page
It would have been easy to for anyone of these ideas to be part of a larger app, but they’re not. They exist in isolation doing one thing and doing them well. It makes me re-think a few things, especially one personal project that’s been lying around for a while - redirect-o-matic.com