Sunday 29 April 2012

More VIM Configurating

This blog post would have been a lot longer had I not have foolishly saved an early version of it over the top of the final version.

I’ve been using vim a lot today and I’ve made some nice headway. The main thing that I’ve done is set up a repo on github for my dot files. Initially I had set this up just for my vim config but it quickly became apparent that it was a great idea to store all of my dotfiles in a repo so I could deploy to my machines and also track incremental changes to the way that I’m configuring things. Aside from this here’s what I’ve done so far

More Changes to ~/.vimrc

I’ve made more changes to my ~/.vimrc file to handle some specifics for each of the plugins.

Solarized Theme

I’ve installed the solorized theme and using it as the main theme for VIM. I’m using the dark version and it took a little bit of jiggery pokery in my ~/.vimrc file to get it to work properly

 "solarized theme options set background=dark let g:solarized_termcolors = 256 let g:solarized_visibility = "low" let g:solarized_contrast = "high" colorscheme solarized 

Filetype Specific Settings

I’ve set up some basic speciality handling of filetypes. This is mainly to control how tabs appear in my source.

Installed SCSS syntax and highlighting

I’ve became rather attached to how easy it is to use sass with django-compressor so being able to use scss syntax and highlighting was essential. I’m using the scss-syntax.vim plugin to do this

Command T

I using the cmd+t shortcut in TextMate all of the time, so installing the Command-T plugin was a no brainer. This one does take a little bit of post install compilation, but as you can see it’s not rocket science.

 rake make 

NERDTree

Having access to a file browser list is quite handy so I installed the NERDtree plugin to make visualising the layout of my projects a little easier. I have to say however, that I’ve been mostly using Command T to navigate.

Supertab

Having access to tab completion is fantastic, so I installed supertab. I have to admit that I don’t quite understand how to control where this plugin gets it’s autocomplete info from, but I’m sure I’ll learn about this more.

Summary

Day four of my vim quest is over and I would have had a much nicer, and more in depth blog post had I not have foolishly saved an earlier version over the top a later version. Either way I’m making progress with VIM and at least I’m posting something today!